As founder of University of Rock, I have first-hand witnessed musicians go from having a few hundred to a thousand or so followers, to having upwards of 10,000-50,000 + followers in less than a year, sometimes even months! I've seen these musicians cultivate raving fan bases, land paid gig opportunities, get endorsed by big music companies such as Fender, PRS, Ernie Ball, and much more.
As some of you know, I am a huge advocate of social media. Speaking from experience, I've been able to accomplish many of my personal goals simply by building a fanbase on Instagram.
After growing University of Rock and it's sub accounts (we are currently at 500,000 + followers as of this writing), I have been able to get endorsed by my favorite music companies (PRS, Taylor, TC Electronic to name a few), build relationships with major influencers, and even get connected to some of my favorite celebrities who now follow us. Here comes the name drops.... Machine Gun Kelly, Orianthi, George Lopez, and Slash (yes, Slash from fu**ing Guns N' Roses).
Long story short, Instagram has changed my life and has 10x'ed my passion for guitar and music. And I know that it has done the same for many other musicians in our community and all over the world.
Here are My Top 5 Reasons Why Musicians Should Invest Heavily In Social Media:
- Credibility - We live in an age where having a strong follower base equates to social currency. Simply put, you look more credible and gain more opportunities the more followers you have. It also displays that you take your career and brand seriously.
- Gig Opportunities - Having a strong social media presence gives you more exposure which in turn can lead to paid gigs. Most artists today are found on the internet. All it takes is the right video!
- Endorsements - Imagine getting FREE gear from your favorite music companies.. This is definitely possible. In fact, a lot of our artists we have featured have landed endorsement deals with major music companies such as Fender, PRS, Ernie Ball, and more.
- High-Profile Collaborations - If you're looking to collaborate with your favorite artists and influencers, having a strong social media presence only helps. High-profile influencers get hit up all the time. Having a strong following not only tells the artist that you take yourself seriously, but in return tells the artist that they will benefit from the collaboration as well. Collaborations should always be a win-win for both parties.
- International Networking - The great part about social media is that it's not limited to the area you live in. Once you put content out, it is exposed to the entire world! The connections and networking you can gain can be invaluable. It goes back to the saying, "It's not what you know, it's who you know."
Guys, the internet is not going anywhere and I promise you that it's only going to become bigger from here on out. If you're serious about your music career, you may want to look at taking social media, whatever platform(s) you choose, more seriously.
Interested in building up your fanbase on Instagram? Reserve a feature on one of our Instagram accounts today by clicking here.
Feel free to connect with me on Instagram @universityofjk.
Rock n' roll 🤘🏼